This winter we would like to remind everyone to watch out for skin and soft tissue infections! Winter is often a time when your immune system can be lower and you may be more likely to catch common bugs and colds. You should also be mindful of infections that can be spread through common ways that drugs are taken or prepared.
Things you can do to prevent infection:
- Keep hands and injection sites clean by washing them before preparing, injecting or smoking
- Use new equipment every time
- Wash pipes and snorting equipment before use
- Avoid sharing pipes or snorters
- Be aware of the proper use of citric/vit C
- Use safer injecting techniques – using as small a needle as possible, rotating injection sites etc.
Keep an eye out for:
- Wounds that are angry, weeping or getting bigger and redder
- Limbs or infected sites that are swollen and painful
- High fever/chills
- Severe muscle or joint aches
- Unusual confusion/disorientation
These could all be reasons to visit your local drug service or medical centre.
Find your nearest needle exchange here.
You can download our social media graphic and share it.