DMT (Dimethyltryptamine) is a substance found naturally in the human brain and some plants. If extracted from plants, DMT is a potent hallucinogenic drug.
Dimitri, the business man's trip
AppearanceColourless (white) crystalline powder. Impure DMT can be white, brown, red, orange, yellow or pink.
Drugs Wheel Category
Misuse of Drugs Act (1971) – Class A.
Penalties for possession are up to 7 years in prison and/or an unlimited fine. Penalties for supply are up to life in prison and/or an unlimited fine.
How it’s taken
Most commonly vaporized. It can also be smoked (however this leads so a significant loss of effect due to the breakdown of the DMT), taken orally or snorted (people using DMT report this being more painful than with other drugs).
It may also be mixed with “harmaline” which is an MAOI inhibitor to create “changa”- this should not be combined with other MAOIs, MDMA or SSRI medications
Injecting is almost always the riskiest way of taking drugs and is strongly discouraged.
Effects of DMT when vaporized can be almost instant (0–2 minutes) and the effects can last for 15 minutes (or longer if a high dose is taken). After effects can be felt for up to an hour afterwards.
DMT may cause intense hallucinations, time distortion, you might see colours, hear sounds and experience heightened mood. The effects may be short but very intense, depending on how much you take. You might not have the same trip experience as someone else.
- The effects may be short but very intense and sometimes alarming, depending on how much you take. You might not have the same trip experience as someone else.
- The smoke from DMT can be quite harsh and could make you cough.
- Mixing with alcohol, prescription medication or any other drugs risks unexpected, harmful and unpleasant effects, especially with other psychedelics, cannabis or ketamine
All drug use has its risks, but if you choose to take DMT then the following steps can help to reduce harm:
- Remember that you cannot judge content or purity by appearance. There is no standard amount of DMT in powder so there can be a huge difference, even within each batch – start low and go slow.
- Always use with someone you know and trust, ideally in a safe, relaxed environment.
- If you are in a group, have a ‘spotter’ – someone who doesn’t take anything and knows what to expect from DMT.
- Avoid mixing with alcohol, prescription medication or any other drugs, as the effects may be unexpected or harmful and unpleasant, especially with other psychedelics, cannabis or ketamine. Drugs affect people differently, more so if mixed.
- Altered perceptions mean you may not spot dangers, so be careful.
- Look after your pals and seek medical help as soon as possible if anyone falls unwell. Be honest about what you know they have taken.
- So start low and go slow.
- Be careful if using an old pipe as sometimes DMT from a previous session can remain and be inhaled with the new dose. Cleaning and pre-warming the pipe can reduce the risk of smoking too much
- The smoke from DMT can be quite harsh and could make you cough. Pipes with cooling chambers may reduce heat and damage to your throat.
- Avoid holding vapour/smoke in your lungs as this can damage tissue without giving a better ‘hit’.
- Use glass or metal pipes were possible as these give off less fumes than wood and plastic.
- Grind or crush substances finely before snorting.
- Use a clean straw or paper as a ‘tooter/snorter’ rather than money and throw away after use.
- Position the ‘tooter/snorter’ as high up the nostril as possible.
- Alternate nostrils.
- Rinse out your nose with water after each session.
- Vitamin E oil can reduce damage to nose if applied in a thin layer inside after cleaning, like you would lip balm.
People taking DMT have reported the following detection time, but this cannot be taken as a recommendation; detection of any drug will depend on purity, regularity of use, other medications or drugs you have taken, your body and how it’s taken.